Carleton University (Ottawa, ON) School of Mathematics and Statistics and St. Lawrence University (Canton, NY) hosted a conference on hockey analytics and statistics on May 6th, 2017. This wss the 3rd annual Ottawa Hockey Analytics Conference.
Micah Blake McCurdy, Goalie Brouhaha
Sophie Jablansky, Multilevel Modeling in Hockey Analytics
Eric Blabac, NHL Playoff Predictions
Matt Cane, Defending the Pass
Corey Pronman, Understanding the NHL Draft JUST a lLttle Better
Michael Schuckers, Draft By Numbers
Timo Seppa, Text Mining of Scouting Reports…
Rob Vollman & Friends, Mock Vegas Golden Knights Expansion Draft
Mock Protection Lists: https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft?otthac
Summary of Expansion Draft Results: https://www.capfriendly.com/otthac-results.php
Brandon Alcox, University of Waterloo, A Utility Model for the Entry Draft
Devan Becker, University of Western Ontario, Space and Some Other Things: Point Process Models for Hockey Data
Thomas Côté-Miller, McGill University, On the Powerplay, are 5 forwards better than 4?
John McCool, University of Pittsburgh, Are Expected Goal Models Biased?
Namita Nandakumar, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, What Does It Mean to Draft Perfectly?
Helmut Neher, University of Waterloo (Vision and Image Processing Lab), Pose Estimation of Players in Hockey Videos using Convolutional Neural Networks
Chris Shoniker, Carleton University, Estimating Player Survivability in the NHL
Jeremy Sylvain, St. Lawrence University, The Probability and Severity of Man Games Lost Due to Injury in an NHL Season
JohnTank, St. Lawrence University, The Effect of Rinks on Shot Rates in the QMJHL
Stephanos Tselios, Brock University, How to design an efficient roster in the National Hockey League (N.H.L.)
This year we have a registration fee to cover the costs of the conference but that fee will include lunch. The rates are $35 for non students, and $25 for students (in Canadian dollars). The registration process is in two steps: registration and payment. Note that you need to complete both steps.
Registration can be found at the following link:
Special Networking Event on Friday May 5th for People New to Hockey Analytics:
Details and registration for the Friday Networking event are through this Eventbrite page. This event SOLD OUT.
List of Sponsors:
Carleton University, Faculty of Science GOLD SPONSOR
OTHER CONTRIBUTORS TO THE CONFERENCE:
Current List of Conference Participants:
- Eric Blabac, Sam’s Club (formerly of SAP)
- Tanner Buzick, Sports Data Product Specialist, SMT Fremont division
- Matt Cane, WinnersView
- Kate Cimini, freelance writer at Sports Illustrated, Vice Sports and FanRag Sports
- Meghan Chayka, Stathletes
- Jim Doeden, General Manager, Vice President, SMT Fremont division
- Graham Goldbeck, Manager, Data Analytics and Operations, SMT Fremont divison
- Sophie Jablansky, University of Maryland
- Brian Macdonald, Florida Panthers
- Micah Blake McCurdy, Hockeyviz.com
- Shirley Mills, Carleton University
- Kevin Mongeon, Brock University
- Corey Pronman, ESPN Insider
- Dani Rylan, NWHL
- Michael Schuckers, St. Lawrence University and Statistical Sports Consulting, LLC
- Timo Seppa, Hockey Prospectus
- Britni Smith, Clarkson University
- Sam Ventura, Carnegie Mellon University
- Rob Vollman, Hockey Abstract
- Chris Wells, St. Lawrence University
Social Events for Attendees:
The Sens House, 7:15pm, 73 York Street (Upstairs), Ottawa
Lowertown Brewery, 7:30pm, 73 York Street (Downstairs), Ottawa
Note that University Drive near Herzberg will be CLOSED but LIBRARY Rd. will be open. The O-Train comes onto campus and there are several parking lots and parking garages available.