Carleton University (Ottawa, ON) School of Mathematics and Statistics and St. Lawrence University (NY) hosted a day of hockey analytics and statistics talks and discussion on February 7, 2015. The day consisted of talks on the analysis of hockey along with time for socializing and networking. The event was similar to hockey analytics events previous held in Calgary and Pittsburgh.
Ottawa Citizen (by Allison Mah): Corsi, Fenwick and hockey nerdery: A Q&A with a professor of hockey analytics
Today’s Slapshot (by Sean Tierney): Fancy Stats Nerds Gather to Discuss Hockey Analytics’ Future
Sportsnet.ca (by Shannon Proudfoot): Inside Carleton’s hockey analytics conference
Buckeye State Hockey (by Paul Berthelot): Ottawa Hockey Analytics Conference
Hockey Analytics (by Sammy Hudes) #OTTAnalytics tape-talk
|Tom Awad||Looking back, looking forward: what don’t we know?|
|Andrew Berkshire||P.K. Subban: Defensive Liability?|
|Stephen Burtch||Context and Change in the NHL.|
|Matt Cane||Beyond Corsi: Examining Weighted Shots|
|Alex Diaz-Papkovich||Data mining the play by play: A new look at player performance|
|David Johnson||Hockey Statistics: From Raw Data to WOWY|
|Emmanuel Perry||Microstats and Applications of Blue Line Data|
|Michael Schuckers||Drunks, Lampposts, and Hockey Analytics|
|Timo Seppa||Applying Analytics and Microstats to NCAA hockey|
|Andrew Thomas||Beyond the RTSS: Building a Comprehensive NHL Database With Multiple Online Resources|
|Sam Ventura||Expected Goals: Blending Shot Quantity and Quality to Evaluate Teams and Players|
|Rob Vollman||Hockey Analytics: Past, Present, Future|
|Josh Weissbock||Developing Analytics in Development Leagues|
Photos of Speakers:
- Tom Awad, Hockey Abstract and Hockey Prospectus,
- Andrew Berkshire, Habs Eyes On The Prize, @
- Stephen Burtch, Sportsnet.ca, @SteveBurtch
- Matt Cane, Puck++ and Hockey Prospectus, @Cane_Matt
- Alex Diaz-Papkovich, Carleton University, @adp_diaz
- David Johnson, Hockeyanalysis.com and Puckalytics.com, @hockeyanalysis
- Emmanuel Perry, SenStats.com, @MannyElk
- Michael Schuckers, St. Lawrence University and Statistical Sports Consulting LLC, @SchuckersM
- Timo Seppa, Hockey Prospectus, @timoseppa
- Andrew Thomas, University of Florida and war-on-ice.com, @acthomasca
- Sam Ventura, Carnegie Mellon University and war-on-ice.com, @stat_sam
- Rob Vollman, Hockey Abstract, @robvollmanNHL
- Josh Weissbock, CanucksArmy.com and CHLStats.com, @joshweissbock
Check back as more speakers will be added
Social Events for Attendees:
Attending Blue Jackets at Senators (7pm at Canadian Tire Centre)
If you’re interested in going to the game, you can contact David Chadala with the Senators via email; email@example.com.
Be sure leave a contact number when you contact David.
Tickets are $90 for 100 level, $62 for 200 level and $48 for 300 level. There will definitely be group from the conference sitting in the 200 level.
Directions to Carleton University are HERE.
Below is a map of campus with the University Centre and the nearest parking marked by red arrows. Parking at Carleton on the weekends is $3 for the day.